A Serious Ocean
You know it by the northern look of the shore,
by the salt-worried faces,
by an absence of trees, an abundance of lighthouses.
It's a serious ocean.
North Sea off Carnoustie by Anne Stevenson
Tomorrow will have an island
by William Stafford
Tomorrow will have an island. Before night
I always find it. Then on to the next island.
These places hidden in the day separate
and come forward if you beckon.
But you have to know they are there before they exist.
Some time there will be a tomorrow without any island,
So far, I haven't let that happen, but after
I'm gone others may become faithless and careless.
Before them will tumble the wide unbroken sea,
and without any hope they will stare at the horizon.
So to you, Friend, I confide my secret:
to be a discoverer you hold close whatever
you find, and after a while you decide
what it is. Then, secure in where you have been,
you turn to the open sea and let go.
I have published hundreds of
magazine, newspaper and online articles over the years and contribute
regularly to: Sailing, Southern Boating, Cruising World, Sailjazz.com,
The Miami Herald and others. My freelance work turns up in a
wide variety of publications, and if something interesting comes
up, I will keep you posted. Below are links to my favorite articles, offering a glimpse into the magical world of offshore sailing
Here are articles by crewmembers:
here is a list of my favorite sailing books:
- Song of the Sirens, Ernest Gann
- Sailing Alone Around the World, Joshua Slocum
- Coasting, Jonathan Raban
- Rounding the Horn, Dallas Murphy
- On the Wind's Way, William Snaith
- A Voyage For Madmen, Peter Nichols
- Maiden Voyage, Tania Aebi
- Wanderer, Sterling Hayden
- The Boat Who Wouldn't Float, Farley Mowatt
- Bay of Spirits, Farley Mowatt
- After The Storm, John Rousmaniere
- Godforsaken Sea, Derek Lundy
- North to the Night, Alvah Simon
- The Long Way, Bernard Moitessier
- Northern Lights, Desmond Holdridge
- The Sage of Cimba, Richard Maury
- The Proving Ground, G. Bruce Knecht
- Sea Quest, Charles Borden
- Two Against Cape Horn, Hal Roth
- Gypsy Moth Circles the Globe, Francis Chichester
|Two new trips have been added for 2019: Trans Caribe 3 and Adriatic/ Ionian Passage. for details.